Reflectioning from the lumberyard!

People are so picky when it comes to buying wood. I'm guessing they figure they are spending their precious money on it so they must have the most perfect board ever. A contractor came in a few days ago and really made me think about life, and wow, I think what I thought is something we all can learn from. I have no idea if I can explain it as well as I learned it.

The contractor came in and he saw an ugly board... the ugliest I've ever seen! Cracked, split, discolored, full of knots, and you name it... the board had it. He picked it up and said, "Wow look at that fine piece of lumber!". Looking at him differently I said, "What?". He responded, "This is the best board here in the lumberyard." I was still perplexed but he continued... "I would pay more for this board than one that is nice and straight! It reminds us how imperfect life is. Life isn't perfect so we can't expect our boards to be perfect. Imperfections add character."

Our conversation changed route to something else after that but I kept reflectioning on all that he said. I started to remember that I once said something to the fact that boards are like people... the straight ones are hard to find. Crooked ones make others crooked. Rotten ones seem to spread the rot.

What would we be like if we were all perfect? There would be no variety! We must have the weird people in the middle of all the normal or boring people to give us variety in life.

Thinking about it even more... I would pay the higher price for that weird board too! There's only one me!
22 Oct 2007

No comments: